Honestly, this “cheese” is absolutely amazing. Amazing.
- 1 cup raw cashews, soaked in water for atleast 30 mins or overnight
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup vegetable broth or water (or more as needed)
- 1.5 cups fresh basil leaves (lightly packed)
- 1/2 cup nutritional yeast (gives the cheese flavour)
- 3/4-1 tsp fine sea salt (or to taste) + freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp onion powder (optional)
For the Pasta Sauce:
- 1 x 800ml can crushed tomatoes
- 1 large onion, diced small
- 4 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1 celery stick, diced
- 3 large portabello mushrooms, sliced
- Basil, oregano, and black pepper (to taste)
For the Lasagna:
- 454 g Box of lasagna noodles, or as needed
- 2 small zucchini, chopped
- 2 large carrots, diced
- 2 cups broccoli florets, chopped small
- 2 cups cauliflower florets, chopped small
- 3-4 large handful spinach
- 2-3 pre-cooked veggie burgers, crumbled (optional)
- Lemon Basil ‘Cheese’ Sauce (from above)
- Pasta Sauce (from above)
- Shredded cheddar or mozza cheese (as much as desired)
Drain and rinse soaked cashews. With the food processor turned on, drop in your garlic cloves and process until chopped. Add in the rest of the ingredients and process until smooth, scraping down the bowl as needed.
- Preheat oven to 400°F. In a large skillet, sautee onion and garlic over low-medium heat for 5 minutes. Now add in the rest of the veggies and sautee for another 10-15 minutes. *Season well with Herbamare or kosher salt and black pepper.* This is key or you will have bland tasting vegetables in your lasagna.
- Meanwhile, bring a large pot of water to boil. Boil lasagna noodles for 8 minutes, drain, and rinse immediately with cold water.
- Add 1 cup of pasta sauce on the bottom of your casserole dish. Add a layer of noodles, half the basil cheeze sauce, half the vegetables, more pasta sauce, another layer of noodles, veggie burger crumbles (optional), the rest of the cheeze sauce, the rest of the vegetables, more pasta sauce, and finally a sprinkle of cheese.
- Cover with tinfoil and prick with fork a few times. Bake at 400°F for 40-45 minutes and then remove tinfoil and broil for 5 minutes on medium. Watch closely so you don’t burn the edges. Remove and serve.
- Will keep in the fridge for at least 3-4 days.